Velscope Oral Cancer Screening
At Oakville Dental, we have the skill and technology to detect the early signs of oral cancer, with the use of a Veloscope oral cancer screening.
Oral cancer is a disease resulting from abnormal cell growth in the mouth, lips, tongue or throat. People over the age of 45 are at the highest risk. If caught early enough, oral cancer can be treated successfully. Preventive oral health care is a priority for our team, and as part of your wellness exam, we offer Velscope oral cancer screenings.
The Velscope exam helps us to identify, evaluate, and monitor abnormal cells that would be difficult to see during a regular exam. A painless process, our hygienist thoroughly exams the soft tissues of the mouth with a blue spectrum light. A total of two minutes is all that is necessary to detect any signs of mouth cancer.
Signs and Symptoms
– White or dark red patches in your mouth, or on your lips or tongue
– Lumps or changes in the texture or colour of the mouth tissues
– Bleeding or numbness in the mouth; sores or patches that do not heal
– Difficulty swallowing; changes in taste or tongue sensation
The actual cause of oral cancer is not known but the most common risk factors include:
– Tobacco use such as cigarettes, chewing tobacco or cigars
– Excessive alcohol consumption
– Oral sex
– Prolonged, repeated exposure of the lips to the sun.
– Poor diet
– Genetics and gender (more men develop the disease than women)
– A history of leukoplakia (a thick, whitish-colour patch inside the mouth)
To book an a Veloscope Cancer Screening,
call us at 905-842-8484 or Book an Appointment directly.